Property Owners Association | 141 Robert E. Lee Blvd, Box
121 | New Orleans, LA 70124
HISTORY OF LAKESHORE
Subdivision, which is adjacent to the Lake Pontchartrain
shoreline, grew out of the lakefront reclamation. Residences
in the area range from the comfortable to the luxurious,
comprising one of the wealthiest residential areas of
Prior to the 1920’s, the lakefront was largely marshy
swampland comprised of scattered fishing shacks and camps.
In an effort to develop strategies for eliminating unhealthy
conditions that existed in the marshes and for providing
improved levee protection from flood disasters, the Louisiana
Legislature named Colonel Marcel Garsaud as Chief Engineer
of the Orleans Levee Board in 1924. He was commissioned
to plan and implement the reclamation and improvement
of the lakefront.
Garsaud submitted a plan for a waterfront resort, a beachfront,
an amusement park, and several artificial lakes. Financing
was a major problem with his plan. In 1928, a Missouri
engineering firm presented two compromise plans. The compromise
plan that was adopted included provisions for a public
park area between the lake drive and the lake, recreational
features and a residential development with one section
of homes fronting on the lake. The principal reason for
the adoption of this plan was its potential for generating
revenue to make the project self-supporting.
In 1926, prior to the adoption of the compromise plan,
pumping and draining of the swamps as well as seawall
construction began. By 1930, work on the lakefront plan
began. The new lakeshore consisted of a stepped concrete
seawall built 3,000 feet out from the shore with a filled
area raised five to ten feet. Above the lake level were
a beautiful public waterfront, beaches, and parks. The
transformation of the lakeshore allowed for the construction
of the Lakeshore/Lake Vista and Lake Terrace/Lake Oaks
The twin neighborhoods of the Lakeshore development are
located to the West of Lake Vista. They are bounded by
the New Basin Canal, Lake Pontchartrain, the Orleans Canal,
and Robert E. Lee Boulevard. Canal Boulevard divides West
Lakeshore and East Lakeshore. West Lakeshore, the former
site of the Lagarde Hospital, opened for sale in 1951.
East Lakeshore, the former site of Musser-Gorden Hospital,
was opened in 1955.
Lakeshore neighborhoods have a traditional design
with linear streets that provide some privacy
but extend to major boulevards. The area is comprised
of single-family residences, apartments, and a
shopping center. Lakeshore helped to transform
the New Orleans lakefront from swampland into
some of the City’s most valuable property.
Hurricane Katrina in 2005, while some homes and
businesses flooded (especially those on and near
Robert E. Lee Boulevard), the northern half of the
section escaped the disastrous post-Katrina flooding
of New Orleans by virtue of the higher elevation
of this man-made land. Post-Katrina, the residents
and owners of Lakeshore worked hard to restore the
area to its past grandeur.
Today Lakeshore is a shining example of the New Orleans
post-Katrina recovery renaissance.