INFORMATION FOR NEW RESIDENTS
New Construction or Renovation
City Zoning Ordinance on Generators:
21.6.T MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT
1. Ground-based or wall-mounted mechanical equipment (with less than 7 feet of vertical clearance) including, but not limited to, heating, ventilating, geothermal energy, and air-conditioning (HVAC) units, swimming pool equipment, and back-up electrical generators, may be located in an interior side or rear yard and shall be located at least two (2) feet from the interior side or rear property line. This two (2) foot distance shall remain open to the sky.
2. Wall-mounted mechanical equipment, with 7 feet or greater of vertical clearance, may be located in an interior side or rear yard and shall be at least 18 inches from the property line.
3. Ground-based mechanical equipment is prohibited in a front or corner side yard. Mechanical equipment setbacks in this section only apply to mechanical equipment in required interior and rear yards and do not apply if there are no yard requirements.
4. However, any existing ground-based mechanical equipment that does not comply with the location requirements as of the date of adoption of this Ordinance is considered legally conforming and may be replaced and repaired.
5. All approved ground-based mechanical equipment, including, but not limited to HVAC units, shall be screened when readily visible from the public right-of-way, excluding alleys. Screening materials may be masonry, wood, or landscape, and shall effectively screen mechanical equipment so no portion is readily visible from that public right-of-way. Color and texture of a masonry wall shall be compatible with the color and texture of the principal building on the site. If ground-based mechanical equipment is screened by an existing structure, fence or landscape, such that it is not readily visible from that public right-of-way, it will be considered to have met these requirements.
6. Ground-based mechanical equipment shall be constructed above base floor elevation (BFE), when applicable. If the equipment would be constructed so that it will be higher than a fence in the interior side yard, it may not be located within the interior side yard.
7. Any roof-mounted mechanical equipment shall be set back at least six (6) feet from any wall of the building to permit safe access to the roof and shall not be visible from the public right-of-way.
Adopted by Ord. 29126, 8-12-22, ZD016/22
Join the LPOA
2. Working on the neighborhood horticulture;
3. Attend city-wide neighborhood meetings voicing the concerns of Lakeshore residents and taking leadership roles and positions.
If you have any questions or suggestions or want to serve, please contact our board members which can be found on our governance page.